As a student, there may be times when you feel overwhelmed with study or would like some help to complete an assignment. Dedicated Learning and Academic Skills (LAS) support staff are available on-campus.
All students can access LAS support online through their Student Portal or through the Student Services or lecturers on campus. Additionally, lecturers can refer students or students can contact Think: CLASS (Centre for Learning and Academic Skills Support) directly.
Think: CLASS staff can help you to study more effectively and develop your skills in:
- Writing (essays and reports)
- Study techniques
- Goal setting
- Grammar and spelling
- Time organisation
- Creating an effective study environment
- Academic learning
- Exam preparation
Our experienced team ensures that academic issues are dealt with and that students are supported in their learning. The team includes access to a counsellor who can offer confidential assistance to students with personal and welfare issues.
Improve your English with the English Direct Entry Program
The Direct Entry Program at Pyrmont is unique in Australia. It helps you improve your English within the subject area you are interested in, and build a foundation of knowledge and vocabulary that will help you succeed in your chosen field. You will also receive additional study support for the remainder of your course, making this a valuable investment for now and the future.
By studying the Direct Entry Program you can:
- Enter your primary course at JNI on successful completion, without an IELTS/TOEFL entry test
- Study with like-minded students who share the same discipline as their passion
- Study for 25 hours of class time each week
- Study English at JNI from day one of your chosen course
- Improve your English level and academic skills while learning the language used in your future career industry
- Achieve your required English level in only 10 – 15 weeks depending on IELTS entry level, saving time and money
English course overview
Learn to refine your research and referencing skills, become efficient in planning your study time and upgrade your skills in writing assignments appropriate for your primary course. You will also learn how to be an effective member of a team, think critically and get the best results. An added advantage of this course is access to LAS support for your entire study duration at JNI. Your LAS tutor will continue to support you to improve your skills during your study, both in specialist academic skills classes and in bookable tutorials. This service aims to significantly improve your assessment grades.